Today our big boy went to the dentist for the very first time. I was absolutely sure that things would not go too well. SOOO...we walk into the office. I fill out paperwork. Leyton is standing on the furniture. I tell him to sit on his hiney. He tells me no. He decides to throw his shoes off. I tell him to please put them back on. He tells me no. Next he begins drawing. He tries to write on the chair. I take the pencil away. He screams. Then he proceeds to flail on the ground. He composes himself. Next, he is opening and closing the door. I ask him to stop. He tells me no. I am getting embarassed. I feel as if I have absolutely no control over my 2 year old. I am turning red. I do the whole get down on his level, raise my eyebrows, and use that good ol' firm but quiet teacher voice to let him know that I mean business. Luckily that seemed to do the trick. I was sweating at this point...knowing that it has been horrific and we haven't even been called back. Then they come get us. He walks back. The sweet lady asks him if he likes to brush. He says no. She then asks if he wants water squirted in his mouth. He says no. Finally, she amazes him enough with all of her fancy tricks that he decides she is not too bad. From this point on he becomes a trooper! They were amazed at how he let them clean his teeth and even do x-rays! He quit saying his "word of the day" (no) and started saying the word that is music to every mommy's ears---YES!!!! He left with a bag full of toothpaste, a toothbrush, floss, a slinky, and an orange balloon. He thought he was pretty cool. When we were paying he asked the receptionist for some candy. I told him that they probably aren't going to hand out candy at the dentist's office! I got a good laugh out of that one though! On our way to the car he said, "Mommy, I like dentist." WOW! Then his orange balloon flew away and got stuck in a tree. Trying to distract him, I asked him if he wanted to go get something to eat. He said no.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Pearly Whites!
Today our big boy went to the dentist for the very first time. I was absolutely sure that things would not go too well. SOOO...we walk into the office. I fill out paperwork. Leyton is standing on the furniture. I tell him to sit on his hiney. He tells me no. He decides to throw his shoes off. I tell him to please put them back on. He tells me no. Next he begins drawing. He tries to write on the chair. I take the pencil away. He screams. Then he proceeds to flail on the ground. He composes himself. Next, he is opening and closing the door. I ask him to stop. He tells me no. I am getting embarassed. I feel as if I have absolutely no control over my 2 year old. I am turning red. I do the whole get down on his level, raise my eyebrows, and use that good ol' firm but quiet teacher voice to let him know that I mean business. Luckily that seemed to do the trick. I was sweating at this point...knowing that it has been horrific and we haven't even been called back. Then they come get us. He walks back. The sweet lady asks him if he likes to brush. He says no. She then asks if he wants water squirted in his mouth. He says no. Finally, she amazes him enough with all of her fancy tricks that he decides she is not too bad. From this point on he becomes a trooper! They were amazed at how he let them clean his teeth and even do x-rays! He quit saying his "word of the day" (no) and started saying the word that is music to every mommy's ears---YES!!!! He left with a bag full of toothpaste, a toothbrush, floss, a slinky, and an orange balloon. He thought he was pretty cool. When we were paying he asked the receptionist for some candy. I told him that they probably aren't going to hand out candy at the dentist's office! I got a good laugh out of that one though! On our way to the car he said, "Mommy, I like dentist." WOW! Then his orange balloon flew away and got stuck in a tree. Trying to distract him, I asked him if he wanted to go get something to eat. He said no.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love love love this post Marsha!! You are just hilarious! And your BOY!! Takes the cake!! He provides such great comedy!! Oh - and I am still dying over the pic with him outside with his shoes...and nothing else on!!! Love your blog!!
I am so glad I'm not the only one who has a child who does this. Most recently for us...yesterday, when daddy got to come watch one of Sam's classes and Sam kept telling his teacher "no" when she was trying to get him to do something...I was a total red face!...at least she acknowledged, "I think he's showing off for daddy." So nice of her...she probably saw my red face glowing and wanted to make me feel better.
Is that Ms. Terri (I think that's her name.) at the dentist? Leyton did 10 times better than Sam! I have no pics of Sam bc I had to sit in the chair with him on my lap the whole time.
Post a Comment