Monday, November 2, 2009

3 Year Well Checkup...

Leyton had his 3 year old well check this morning. Luckily daddy stayed home with Harrison so I could just concentrate on my one little guy. When you only get checkups once a year, you wanna make sure to be able to talk to the doctor without the distractions that another little one can add to the mix.

SO...we go in and they have me strip Leyton down to his undies. I must say his little bubble butt looked cute in his Diego baseball undies--strutting up and down the halls of the doctors office. Wonder when that becomes embarassing? Anyway, they weighed him and measured him. Then they took his blood pressure. The nurse told him it was going to blow up like a balloon. Apparently, Leyton thought they wanted him to blow it up like a balloon. He was huffing and puffing on the cuff the entire time. When he was finished, he proudly strutted back into his room and sat on the chair. What a little man...with the exception that he is almost naked. The nurse asks a million questions like "Can he count to at least 3?" "Does he know his age?" "Does he have imaginary friends?" We go through the long list of questions and L is just sitting there in the corner trying his very best not to crack a smile. The kid loves that we are talking about him. After that, we take a cup and head to the bathroom. I'm wondering how this is going to go...turns out he is a champ at peeing in a cup. Who knew! (that may come in handy on our next road trip!) We head back to our room once again to wait on the doctor. Leyton asks me for a pencil---I didn't have one so I tell him he'll just have to pretend like he has one. He got a piece of paper and started playing doctor. He'd ask me "Does he ride a bicycle?" "Does he wear a helmet?" "Does he watch shows?" "Does he paint?" oh and my personal favorite "Does he chew gum?" (I'm sure a doctor would be impressed with that answer!) The doctor finally comes in and it is Leyton's turn to ask his one burning question to the doctor. You see, for about a month when I have asked him when he is going to put his poo poo in the toilet, he would reply with "I am going to talk to the doctor about that." Now was his chance. Chatty Boy turned shy on me, so mommy had to ask. The doctor gave the shocking answer that now is the time to poop on the potty. He told Leyton that all 3 year olds poop on the toilet. Leyton nodded in agreement. So...we will see. Oh and don't you worry, I'll let you know when he does. ;)

I didn't have any good questions. I remember when he was a baby, I would pull out my spiral pad and start asking away. I tried to make a list last night with Russell and this is what it looked like....
Questions for 3 yr old well check:
1. poop

That was all I could come up with. Leyton's poop question. I was blank. So...I crumpled up my list. As forgetful as I have been lately, I was sure I could remember that one simple question.

Oh...and we can't forget how the appointment ends. With shots. 2 shots. I told Leyton he would most likely be getting shots but I guess he didn't really worry about it until the nurses came with needles in hand. He cried with anticipation. I hate that. I know how poor guy feels...I sweat with anticipation every time I have to give blood at the OBGYN's office. He cried. Really cried...which he never has done with his shots before. Then, he got 2 suckers and we were on our way.

Good appointment=happy mommy
Thank God for our health and our cute little bubble butted 3 year old!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

glad to hear your list of questions was nice and short...i couldn't come up with many this year either!