Monday, August 17, 2009

Not That Cool---

I never understand why people are in a hurry to potty train their child. (sure, the cost of diapers...but other than that?!?!) Don't get me wrong, I do not want my child going to Kindergarten in a diaper, but I have never been in a big hurry to jump the potty training hurdle. I am even guilty of telling Leyton to pee pee in his diaper when he tells me he has to go. (in public places) Honey, that's what diapers are for!!! I decided that I should buckle down and jump on the potty "train" since I ain't getting any smaller and the energy is only going to decrease with each month of pregnancy. We have worn undies on and off for many months, but I decided that TODAY IS THE DAY to not make any more excuses for diapers. (going places, road trips, laziness...etc) So, he will only be in a diaper for naps and nighttime.

Potty Training is not that cool.

Leyton has been SOOO easy when it comes to peeing in the toilet. He started telling me he had to go a long time ago. Then I would just let him run around "naked as a jaybird" to get the hang of it. He has had occasional accidents...like when we have lots of friends over or when we were at Chuck-E-Cheese. He likes to wait until the absolute last minute to take the time to go potty. Usually he is "potty dancing" as he is running in the bathroom.

POOP, my friends, is a whole 'nother story. I have no clue what to do. He tells me to put a diaper on him so he can poop. He goes in the other room, hides, and takes care of business. If I come close to him he tells me to "Get back." I tell him I will let him wear the diaper for 10 minutes so he needs to get busy. He does. I change him. All is good. I have tried everything for him to sit on the toilet and he will not do it! NOPE. Never. No way. I can't force him, can I? I guess I could just let him poop his pants. I did that once...it does not phase him. He is not one of those kids who doesn't like the feel of it. He just walks around like he's been riding a horse for a long time and continues to play. SO...any suggestions would be great. I don't think the diaper thing is ever going to solve the poop issue, so what do I do? Stickers...nope. Big Bribes....nada. Watching a video on the laptop...no, thank you. NOT EVEN GUM PEOPLE! Have I ever mentioned that this child is stubborn? (just like daddy) ;)

So, the moral of the story is this....potty training is not that cool. But my kid is.

3 comments:

leanne.sandefer said...

We did a poo poo prize. Yeah I knkow, hokey but it worked. Eli picked out a thomas train, and he got to keep it if he pooped on the toilet and then it got taken away if he didn't. It motivatd him, along with 1 m and m for pee and two for poop, unless your paul and he gave him two for pee and three for poop LOL

Rachael said...

yep, leyton is a cool dude...and way ahead of my bugger!

Bessa said...

I don't know, dude. Ally has been ridiculously easy. Once she pooped in a diaper and I'd read to put it in the potty with her and say "poop goes in the potty," which I did. But I don't think that was a super trick that saved the day. I think boys are going to be SO different on the potty train.