Monday, August 27, 2012

Work it, Boy!

Yeah, this pose was all him. It's a little lunge---Power Rangers style. A friend just texted me and it read "We made it through the first day of Kindergarten!" How true! What a milestone...and we did it! This is how it all went down....

We had a little family meeting last night to discuss the upcoming changes. First on the agenda....I WILL HAVE TO WAKE YOU UP, KIDS! Seriously! This one was even a little hard for me to grasp. The sun will not even be in the sky when I come upstairs to get you. This is just how serious school is....because we all know I would not wake you up before the sun rises for much else. The other topics we discussed were pretty much just what to expect in the morning. Breakfast, teeth brushing, change clothes, and then I fix their hair. You see, during the summer we occasionally had a couple of hours of our day go by before we did any of the items listed above. (well, besides breakfast)

So, the real morning of the big day goes like this. I set the alarm for 5:15. Why that early? Because I'm insane and I am always paranoid of being late. Today was my test run to see how long each thing would take. Well, I am happy to report that it doesn't take 2 hours. Looks like I won't have to rise that early again! I shower, make Leyton's lunch (more on that later), and get breakfast started. I go wake up the kids....which I must admit was a tad bit fun. Give them a taste of their own medicine...I'll show them! Both Leyton and Harrison come down and lie on the couch. Leyton asks if today is one of his short days and I said yes. He was glad. They each took about 2 bites of their breakfast. I tried for more, but no luck. They brushed their teeth. Got dressed. I took some pics. And we were out the door. Yes, we did arrive too early. Story of my life.

I took some more pics by the school. We all went into the cafeteria....because that is where the early kids go. And we waited. For oh...about 18 minutes. When we were finally released, we all walked down to the Kindergarten hall. Mrs. Hill was waiting with a smile! He picked a place for him and his backpack. He played with some blocks. I took a couple more pics. All the students said both pledges and then sang "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" which totally makes me love his teacher. It was fun and random....and I'm all about fun and random. I left. Then I came back for one more hug. Then I left again. (In my defense most parents were still in the room) Then I cried....but I only allowed like 2 tears to fall from each eye. Then, I dried my face and was fine!  I met two friends at the gym cafe and did the treadmill!!

After the gym, we headed to my second home--Target. It was fabulous. Carts are made for 2 kids...not 3. The kids each got a new thermos and we left. We came home and the kids sipped water from their new cups and....WAIT FOR IT...no....WAIT FOR IT......they actually played together!! EE was not glued to my hip! This, my friends, is a MIRACLE! A true miracle. H and L are always playing together which means that me and EE are playmates. She actually went upstairs. This has (almost) never happened!  Since it was a short day at school this first day, this joyous scene was cut short and we were on our way to pick up our favorite 5 year old. It was so great to see his smiling face!

I asked him close to 78 questions after getting into the car. He answered about 3 of them. This is the information I do know... 1. He ate his snack outside. 2. There are some white things on the ground that his teacher said elves live inside of. (must be true then!) 3. He got to play on the i-pad. That's it. He either tuned me out for the other questions or just answered with some sort of man grunt. I do know...now....that they didn't need a lunch for the first day of school. This is a real bummer, because as I told my friend earlier, I had pretty much prepared a Thanksgiving size feast inside of his tiny lunchbox. For real. I couldn't decide what to give him, so I pretty much went with everything we had. I even wrote him a love letter. humph!!! I'll try to duplicate my efforts this Thursday when he goes for his first full day.

I feel great! My kid feels great! It's official. A Kindergartner lives here...and we think he's awesome!




1 comment:

Stacy Amerson said...

love this post. I am so very thankful that we get to experience this all together! May this be the start of a wonderful friendship with all of our kids!