Monday, October 5, 2009

Being (almost) Three is Tough!


Well, I don't believe in the "terrible twos"---I believe that 3 is the new 2. Seriously. A 3 year old seems like it is going to be much harder to manage than a 2 year old. Leyton is showing us his independence by doing everything "all by myself." This includes things like taking it upon himself to crawl on the cabinets to get his own glass plates down, using his scissors to cut Harrison's hair, pouring his own drinks in his cup (and on the floor), disciplining his baby brother, telling me exactly what he is and isn't going to do....the list goes on and on. I asked him on Friday if he wanted to do something (can't remember what) and he replied with "nope. That'd be a no, mommy." He has also mastered the art of manipulation. For example, he always wants us to lay in bed with him for "a second" every night. We read and talk and then when it is time for me to leave he wraps his arms around me and kisses my lips while asking me to "lay in bed with him for another second." Now, I don't know about you but it is hard for me to turn that down. I'm getting a little stronger each night because I realize this could go on and on and on. Also, he used to mind pretty well...considering his age. Now, everything is up for negotiation in his eyes. I try to recognize this and not waver but sometimes this kid is tricky. While saying all this, I do think that 3 is such a fun age. He is my little sidekick, my big helper, and he's always willing to hang out to play games and talk to me. I love it, really. It's amazing how much he is understanding this world. He teaches me new things every day. He has made me realize that life is much more fun when you take your time. (trust me, he ALWAYS takes his time) I like it though. You get to see a lot more and enjoy the view along the way. So, while having a 3 year old can be harder to manage--I am guessing that it is going to be such a wonderful age too. I just have to remind myself to slow down and let him learn how to assert this independence he just discovered....and I think we'll both enjoy the ride!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

we feel your pain, uh...I mean joy!

El Momma said...

Get ready! Three will be here soon...sounds like you are preparing well! love ya!